Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ugly Reality

I got a head start before most of you guys. I got a chance to experience Second Life. This concept of a virtual world really intrigued me. It was fun to choose a pseudo name, cools clothes, fly and to visit different worlds. But for me, that gets old after a while.

I can understand why people spend hours in a virtual world. Some go on shopping sprees, meet unusual people, give friends lavish gifts that, in reality, cost them nothing. In fact, it’s a way to ESCAPE! That’s the major thing – a way of escape.

What concerns me is that people who have genuine problems in life, go to these ‘worlds’ for their fix. Their reality is filled with unhappiness. Let’s face it; this world is messed up. But, I do not think that these virtual worlds provide people with a solution. In fact, I think that this makes the problem even worse. After someone signs out from the virtual world, what happens then? They are faced with the same reality. Their reality didn’t change or get any better.

I just want to caution the use and promotion of these virtual worlds and avatars. I’m not sure if you heard about this, but after some viewers saw the movie, Avatar, recently, many of them wanted to commit suicide. I guess after viewing the avatars’ perfect world, they viewers were unwillingly brought back to their ugly reality.

This blog inspired by:

2 comments:

  1. Suicide? That's a bit rough. I have to say, though, if it wasn't the perfect life of the avatar causing these thoughts, it may have been something else.

    I think the idea of applying classroom techniques to Second Life could be very interesting. Instead of watching a power point on the screen in front of you, you are literally virtually (did I say that) in the classroom with the virtual teacher and maybe more engaged. In any case, it sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many feel that these sites or forums create just as strong of an "addiction" as substance abuse; and in a way, these applications are a form of it. You're right - they can provide a much-needed form of escape to those who are on the edge as it is. Once this becomes problematic to those in need, it's time to step back and evaluate the ethics behind it all.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Circle