Saturday, February 20, 2010

Can't You Just Give Me The Job Already?

I HATE NETWORKING! I just wanted to get that off my chest. I’m about to graduate, and of course I’ve been job hunting since last October. I’m tired of sending out resumes and attending networking events. But, I suppose no matter how much I dislike networking, I must acknowledge that will most likely land me a job.

I rarely feel comfortable networking. I have in the back of my mind that I’m creating contacts because I want something from them. Penelope Trunk expresses my ideas and dislikes about networking very well. Now I’m told that I have to take networking a step further and use social media. ‘Apparently’, it really works. Well, I definitely have to make greater use of social media as a networking tool.

I need to stop being so bitter. I have seen the rewards of networking using social media. The thing that appeals to me is that it initially reduces the need for face-to-face contact. I can make connections virtually, until the time comes for the need to meet in person. At least, the initial awkwardness or asking for a job is somewhat taken out of the way via the internet!

4 comments:

  1. You're a nice person. You can do it. Just keep telling yourself that. And accept the fact that you have no choice. In our career management lab, I heard a story about a woman who sent articles, posts, etc. to the head of an office for a year. After that time, he finally decided he needed this person to join the company. Now that's dedication, but I don't think we all need to go to that level...or do we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that sometimes face-to-face contact can seem a bit intimidating,but you have got to do it! Social media can take the initial edge off, and that's good. But how do you actually know you are connecting with someone valuable to your job hunt? Not to creep you out, but it could just be some guy that wants to meet you, and you'll never get a job without meeting someone first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with the ladies above.

    I don't think doing all the networking virtually is the best way to go. I'm on the same boat with you Jodi-Ann about trying to get comfortable with networking. But youre a great person and very easy to talk to. I've always heard that listening skills are important while youre networking and to try to get the other person to talk about themselves more.

    I think you need some degree of dedication. Maybe the example above is too extreme for you. You have to find your own comfort level.

    Lastly- You got it lady! Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the tough thing for me is thinking of networking as a big hurdle to leap. I think there are 2 good strategies, one is to leverage people you know… everyone. Bring your friends, close or not, into the circle you consider your network. And second, to remember that everyone loves to talk about themselves. Informational interviews are a great way to grow your network. You have nothing to loose, so good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Circle